The idea around making paper flowers came about when I was busy planning my daughter, Jaime’s, christening tea. I wanted something soft for decor on the table and came across this lovely idea in IDEAS magazine.
Below is what they ended up looking like. I placed a few on the corner of the table and some scattered between. Afterwards I stuck all the flowers onto Jaime’s cupboard doors in her room to form a flower border..and they are still there. So, how did I make them?
Firstly you would need the following:
- Cardboard in various shades of your colour choice
- Flower petal template
- White paper
- Pencil and eraser
- Glue or Double sided tape
- Print the flower petal template below in the desired size and cut them out. Trace the petals onto the cardboard.
2. Cut out the petals and erase the pencil marks. You can decide on the number of petals for each layer or size. The more the better, but I started with 4x per layer. After cutting them out, you can start to glue them together. Start with the small size first working towards the bigger size petal. You can also cut out a circle as backing onto which you will glue all the petals. Before you start with the glue, curl the broader part of each petal by rolling the broader part onto a pen or thicker object, release and you will have a curling petal which will contribute to the flower effect (see image below). Make a small fold at the narrow part of the petal which will make it easier to glue them together.
3. The middle – You can either use a button or make a small fringed flower. Cut a strip of paper, size will depend on your flower size. Cut numerous strips to form a fringe, keeping about 1cm cardboard not cut. Add some glue or double-sided tape on the non-cut part and roll it together so that it looks like below. Glue the fringed flower to the middle part of the flower and its done.
Here are some ideas on how you can decorate using your paper flowers:
Make large flowers for Wall art and decorate your home in an inexpensive way
Use as decoration at a Tea party
Decorate a table for any occasion
Below are some more links on how to make and use paper flowers
A good way to use paper doilies – making vintage flowers.
Go get some paper and have some flower fun! Share your flowers with me by adding a comment to the post.
Bye for now…